My name is Kathy. I am a reading specialist in an elementary building in Lancaster, PA. I’m married to Chet, a vegan rock climber, who makes photos and videos. Check out his website chetroyproductions.com.
We have been vegans since October 2005. We chose this lifestyle to benefit our own health, to protect the welfare of animals, and to minimize our footprint on the planet.
Vegan doesn’t automatically equal healthy. Heck, most potato chips are vegan. We have very important guidelines for our healthy vegan diet.
- must be vegan (may not contain animal products, beef, chicken, fish, milk, eggs, cheese, butter, gelatin, whey, honey, or any other crazy animal ingredient)
- no partially hydrogenated oils
- no high fructose corn syrup or crystalline fructose
- use whole wheat flour or sprouted grain (avoid wheat flour or white flour)
- avoid cooked oil (use water for sautéing)
- meals should contain a vegetable, protein, and whole grain
- mostly whole foods (not processed)
- organic, when available
- be conscious of calories (I try to limit my calories to 1800 per day; it is very easy to eat too many calories with so many delicious vegan options.)
Thanks for visiting.