Since finding Wholly Wholesome Whole Wheat piecrust, making pie has become one of the easiest (although high calorie) desserts.
1 pack of 2 Wholly Wholesome Whole Wheat piecrust
5 medium apples (any kind you like)
2 TB flour
3 teaspoons of cinnamon and sugar
2 TB vegan butter
1. Take piecrusts out of the freezer to begin thawing.
2. Wash apples and slice them thinly. I always leave on their skins – it gives it a nice texture.
3. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of flour on the bottom of one of the crusts.
4. Place 2 sliced apples in the crust.
5. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of flour and 2 teaspoons of cinnamon/sugar over apples.
6. Crumble 1 tablespoon of butter over apples.
7. Place remaining 3 sliced apples in crust.
8. Sprinkle 1 teaspoon of cinnamon/sugar and crumble 1 tablespoon of butter over apples.
9. Preheat oven to 400º.
10. While oven is preheating, put empty pie shell in oven for a minute to thaw just a bit. Remove from oven.
11. Using a sharp knife, cut around edge of the empty shell to take off the thick edge.
12. If you want a high calorie snack, place cutoff crusts on a cookie sheet and sprinkle with cinnamon/sugar or salt.
13. Turn empty piecrust upside down over apple pie.
14. Place on a cookie sheet cover loosely with foil.
15. Bake pie and cutoff crusts at 400º for 15 min., flipping cutoffs once. Remove cutoffs and let cool.
16. Turn oven down to 350º and bake pie for another an hour, take off foil for the last 20 minutes. Let pie cool for at least an hour before serving.
Wholly Wholesome piecrust is made with Organic Non-Hydrogenated Palm Fruit Shortening. The smoke point of palm fruit shortening is about 450º.
High Calorie Details (it would be a lot less calories if you used only 1 crust): 1/8 of the pie has 408 calories, 26 grams of fat, 10 grams of sat fat, 0 cholesterol, and 4 grams of protein. Eek! Definitely only for special occasions!