This pizza is INCREDIBLE with the pizza shop crust and melted Daiya. Most crust recipes require a three hour process, and who has time for that? But Ethical Pizza has a fabulous recipe and video for a super easy pizza crust that you mix in the morning and finish after work. Below is my take on their recipe.
- 1 ½ cup warm/hot water
- ¼ teaspoon active dry yeast
- 1 ¾ teaspoons salt
- 2 ¼ cup organic unbleached white flour
- ¾ cup organic whole wheat bread flour
- additional white flour for shaping the crust (about 1/2 cup)
- parchment paper
- 16 inch large pizza pan (we like the ones with holes)
- wire cooling rack
In the morning . . .
- In a large bowl, add warm water and yeast. Allow the yeast to dissolve in the water.
- In a medium bowl, mix the salt, white flour, and whole-wheat flour.
- Stir the yeast/water mixture and make sure all the yeast is dissolved.
- Add the flour mixture to the yeast/water. Mix until all the flour is wet.
- Cover and allow to sit at room temperature for 8-12 hours. Do not stir or touch it.
At dinner time . . .
- When you are ready to make the pizza, put flour on a towel or flour the counter. Scrape the dough onto the flour. Add enough flour on top of the dough to make it easy to shape. Form a ball, cover with the towel, and allow it to sit for 10-15 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 450º. Place parchment paper over the pizza pan. Put dough ball on the paper. Press with your hands into a pizza shape adding flour as needed. (The dough will rise in the oven so I press it pretty thin.)
- Bake just the crust for 10 minutes on the lowest rack. Add sauce and bake another 10 minutes. Add cheese. Carefully slide the pizza off the paper/pan and bake another 10 minutes directly on the lowest oven rack. Total of 30 minutes of bake time.
- Transfer to a wire rack and cool about 5 minutes. Cut on cutting board and return uncut part to the wire rack (it gets a bit soggy when left on the cutting board).
We like to put basil and organic smoky tempeh on our pizza. Topping possibilities are endless! This reheats well in the toaster oven or is tasty cold.