2 cups of organic sugar
1 ¾ organic whole-wheat pastry flour
1 ½ cup organic, fair trade cocoa powder
1 ½ teaspoon baking powder
1 ½ teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 cup silken tofu
¾ cup chocolate soymilk
1. In a large bowl, mix dry ingredients (sugar, flour, cocoa, baking soda & powder, salt).
2. In a food processor or blender, mix applesauce, tofu, and soymilk. Process until very smooth.
3. Preheat oven to 350º.
4. Pour wet mixture into dry mixture and stir well.
5. Lightly grease a 9×13 inch glass pan with vegan butter or canola spray.
6. Pour batter into pan.
7. Bake for about 45 minutes.
1/12 of this cake contains 220 calories, 2 grams of fat, 0 saturated fat, 0 cholesterol, and 5.5 grams of protein.
Okay, now for the really bad part, the Cream Cheese Icing:
2 8-ounce containers of Tofutti Better Than Cream Cheese
1 cup of vegan butter
1 16-ounce bag of organic powdered sugar (about 3 ¾ cup)
Put cream cheese and butter in a bowl and blend well with an electric mixer. Slowly add powdered sugar, and continue mixing until all the sugar is added and the icing looks smooth. Add this to the cake sparingly since it contains more calories than I care to calculate!