These delicious energy nuggets are so healthful and easy, and they can be made with a wide range of ingredients to suit everyone’s tastes (substitutions encouraged). All of these ingredients are easy to find in organic form. Thanks to my friend Heather from Makes Scents for the recipe!
- 1 cup quick oats
- 1 cup coconut flakes (dry type)
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup raw cocoa nibs (or chocolate chips for less healthy option)
- 1/2 cup dry cranberries
- 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup natural peanut butter
- 1/2 cup agave or honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Mix dry ingredient in a large bowl.
- Put peanut butter in a small bowl and microwave for 20-30 seconds until. Add honey and vanilla to peanut butter. Mix.
- Add peanut butter mixture to the dry ingredients. Mix with your hands.
- Chill in freeze for about 30 minutes.
- Form the mixture into about 30 balls. It is helpful to have damp hands. As I make the balls, I squish them into the loose ingredients that fall to the bottom of the bowel to try to incorporate more of those pieces.
- After forming the balls, I am left with about 1/2 cup of loose ingredients. You can freeze it and add to your next batch (cutting back on other ingredients accordingly), add it to vanilla yogurt, or just eat it with a spoon. Yum!
- Place formed balls on wax paper on cookie sheet and freeze. After nuggets are frozen, place them in an air tight container and store in the freeze (for long term) or refrigerator.
This recipe makes 28 small balls and about 1/2 cup of extra loose ingredients. At the size of about 1/30 of the recipe, each nugget has 110 calories.