There are many great recipes for vegan egg salad. This recipe is super simple with a short ingredient list, and I think it tastes exactly like the egg salad that I ate as a child. The black salt is optional, but it really adds to the egg flavor. I could not find black salt locally so I ordered it from Amazon. It is worth the $8.70 investment and will last a long time. When preparing the tofu, it is important to squeeze out the extra moisture so your salad doesn’t get watery. This salad will keep in the refrigerator for at least 4 days, it gets yummier as the flavors blend. Egg salad is delicious on top of leafy green salads, in wraps, on crackers, or on toast.2 14 ounce packs extra firm tofu (the refrigerated kind) 1/2 cup vegan mayo 1 TB lemon juice 1 TB prepared mustard 1/2 teaspoon black salt (Kala Namak) 1/2 teaspoon onion powder 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder 1 teaspoon turmeric 1/2 teaspoon to 1 teaspoon celery seed 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar salt and pepper to taste
1. Rinse tofu. Press firmly between a folded dish towel to soak up extra moisture.
2. To make the dressing, mix all ingredients, except tofu, in a large bowl.
3. Thoroughly crumble about 1/2 block of tofu into a bowel.
4. Mix well, mashing the tofu to make it almost part of the dressing.
5. Crumble the rest of the tofu into the bowl.
6. Mix well.
7. Refrigerate or serve immediately.
Makes at least 6 servings: 1/6 of the recipe contains 217 calories, 17 grams of fat, 1 gram of saturated fat, and 10 grams of protein.
*You could cut back on the mayo to reduce calories and fat.